First Day of Teaching Practice
On this day, I started my teaching practice for the first time. I taught five classes. Each class was 45 minutes long. The first one was RR class which started at 6 AM. RR class was a reading intervention class. For the reading intervention class, I should ask each student to read a text orally in front of me. Its objective was to ensure that they could pronounce English words correctly. When they mispronounced some words, I underlined the words and asked them to learn to pronounce it again next time. Not only that, in the reading intervention class, the students should answer some questions related to the text. This class also aimed to measure their English reading comprehension. The second class that I taught was Einstein class. Einstein class was considered as the smartest class by my mentor. I agreed with my mentor because when I observed them, they could answer to teacher's questions easily. The third class was Pythagoras class. Pythagoras class was also considered smart. The fourth class was Gates class. Gates class was the class of my mentor. Then, I taught the last class which was Rizal class. In Rizal class, the students were very active and enthusiast when studying English. For today, the Einstein, Pythagoras, Gates, and Rizal class continued their group presentation. After that, I encouraged them to review their lesson about the elements of a short story true or false game. From the game, I could see how well the students could remember the lesson. I was proud that almost all students could answer to my questions correctly when playing the game. When I was teaching the classes, my mentor observed me from behind. She observed it to see whether or not there was something that I could improve for my teaching. After I taught the classes, I had a lunch first with my friends. Then, I came back to the class again to meet my mentor. Ma'am Karen, my mentor, gave me some feedbacks about my teaching practice, such as, I should maintain my loud voice for every class and my pronunciation. Actually, there was nothing wrong with my pronunciation. However, there were some words in English that had different accent in the Philippine. As an example, in English, we pronounce the word 'education' as 'ejukesyen', but in the Philippine, they pronounce it as 'ejukesyion'. Sometimes, I was difficult to catch the right word due to some different accent. But, ma'am Karen said that it was not a big problem. She only suggested me to try to understand the differences and try to catch the words. Moreover, I also practiced how to connect my laptop to the TV in the class since there would be materials which I should show on the TV. Finally, I could do it. Then, ma'am Karen discussed about what I should teach tomorrow. After that, I went home and took a rest. I also tried to prepare myself for the teaching practice in the next day.
Comments
Post a Comment